Live. Laugh. Love.

FASHION. MUSIC. VINTAGE. PHOTOGRAPHY. DOODLES. COLORS. THOUGHTS. INSPIRATION. RANTS.

Sabado, Enero 14, 2012

MOVE MANILA!

Last January 12, 2012, the Far Eastern University auditorium was chock-full of about a thousand of people because of the most current program of Move.Ph “Social Media for Social Change” chat series. The event highlighted big names in the broadcasting business such as Cheche Lazaro, Veronica Pedroza, Chay Hofileña and Maria Ressa.
When Mr. Ryan Yturriaga announced that we are going to attend a seminar about Social Media, I was not so enthusiastic about it. I didn’t even felt any pleasure flowing in my veins; I can’t find any reasons why do I have to be present in the event. I was actually forcing myself to go. I’m not fond of going to seminars although I’m aware that in the real world after college, there are a lot of seminars waiting for me. On that morning last Thursday, I am not willing to get up early. I’m not a morning person but I should because I have to go to the event.
When I got there in school, I saw Mr. Yturriaga immediately and signed for the attendance, went up the upper box because surprisingly, there are a huge mass of people inside the auditorium. We wait for the even to start and OH MY GOD, I was so starstucked with the big journalism “stars” who are present in that event.
Former ABS-CBN news broadcaster, Al Jazeera English, BBC and CNN Asia’s Veronica Pedrosa delivered the Keynote Speech. She told stories about her experiences as a journalist during her time in ABS-CBN, in CNN Asia until she stated far-fetched stories about her involvements in Al Jazeera. She voiced out a lot of information and I learned a lot from her keynote speech. She discussed about “the power of the word to pressure the power of regime”, how Asian trust social media than traditional media and the “Tectonic drift of Trust” which is presented in a pyramid graph. Age of Deference VS Age of Reference.  She also discussed about how technology that is used well has the ability to make you feel “something” and it’s (technology) impact on the practice of journalism: Live news and more live news, journalists as curators and transparency and credibility as watchwords.
My most favourite part of the event was Pat Evangelista’s Chat Session 1: Telling Stories. Pat Evangelista is a Rappler media reporter. (Oh my god, I can’t believe that I saw her already. When I was in high school, I used her speech several times (“Blonde and Blue Eyes”) as my oration speech. It was such an honour to see her to speak live omg). We watched documentation about Andi Eigenman. In that docu I learned that we should not judge people like her as we Filipinos have judged her just because of this ideology: In the Philippines, you should live with morals. Situations as such happen because we do not live in a fairy-tale who always have a “happily ever after”. She also presented documentaries about the Maguindanao Massacre and the victims of “Bagyong Sendong”. The line I cannot forget on Pat’s speech is that “Journalists are story tellers – we put ourselves in their lives.”
“Chat Session 2: The Fun and Challenges of being a Multimedia Reporter” of Natashya Gutierrez is the most light and fun of all! She discussed about what multimedia journalism is, how multimedia journalism changed the news world, the challenges and the fun part of being a multimedia reporter, while promoting Steve Job’s iPhone! I tweeted during the event and Natashya favorited and retweeted my tweet! She also mentioned me in her tweet!! She’s so nice. J

Chay Hofileña talks about Social Media’s risks and potentials and how to use it responsibly. Potentials such as quick mobilization and information dissemination during disasters and crowd sourcing information. Social media risks such as English language damaged, link between addiction and depression, “current generation of digital natives spend 10,000hrs online before they become adults”, being anti-social, privacy and security issues, CYBER-BULLYING, and mobocracy or mob rule. Responsible use such as “post it and it’s public; age of screen grabs”, avoid inflammatory languages, avoid feeding trolls and do not steal or violate copyright.
Maria Ressa the CEO and executive editor of Rappler wrapped up the whole event. She discussed the main theme of the event: Social Media for Social Change. She talked about social media being a hot topic since 2009, social media addiction, upside of the dopamine fix and social network theory. She also talked about Rappler’s approach in journalism.
Afterwards, a panel discussion was led by Cheche Lazaro and our very own Mr. Joven Castro was there with the other panel. The audience were allowed to ask questions to the guest and they answer it vigorously. Mr. Ryan Yturriaga, my ICT professor had the chance to ask the panel about their stand on security of the journalists here in our country. Veronica Pedrosa was the one who answered Mr Yturriaga’s concern and she said that everyone of us should make a stand about the security of journalists in the Philippines.
The event was such a success and very inspiring. It was a great honor to become part of it! J

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento